Results 1 to 10 of 174

Thread: My turn...A7 restore...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Mail call and a question....

    primer/sealer scuffed to which recommened grit...320? i took my piano black cabs out to steel wool..laquer baby..laquer, 6 coats
    "those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Mail call and a question....

    well if your lacquering these you can pretty much bet that old paint is gonna lift and orange peel like a mofo!! also the new acrylic auto paint which to me seemed just like Lacquer is gonna do the same thing. I don't scuff my primer at all. Primer, paint and then many coats of clear. Then wet sand with 2000 grit wet or dry and polish to a mirror. Although if these were mine they'd be original Altec gray. with new VOTT decals. : )

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member analog addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2007
    Posts
    521
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Mail call and a question....

    Here's the paint....

    46



    and I just happen to have 4 of these, courtesy of Bowtie quite awhile ago.

    47


    I think I have some Kilz somewhere, but the weather is going to be nice again today, mid 60's, so I think I'll finish out this can of Bondo and see what I have left.

    My plan is to get started on the paint, finish the insides of the horn first, then load them and test these 416 8A drivers I recently picked up. I want to listen to them for a little while, then for Mod #1, plan on getting some of that yellow spray can expanding insulation and carefully seal up/brace the vacancies on the insides of the horn flares....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Analog Addict - Jack of all Trades, Master of None
    Searching for Sonic Nirvana...

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    My turn...A7 restore...


    alancohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Cty, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Mail call and a question....

    Quote Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
    well if your lacquering these you can pretty much bet that old paint is gonna lift and orange peel like a mofo!! also the new acrylic auto paint which to me seemed just like Lacquer is gonna do the same thing. I don't scuff my primer at all. Primer, paint and then many coats of clear. Then wet sand with 2000 grit wet or dry and polish to a mirror. Although if these were mine they'd be original Altec gray. with new VOTT decals. : )
    Since I'll be contemplating my A7 refurb soon, I thought I'd ressurect this thread. It's a great read. Thanks to everyone for contributing.

    I think I'm leaning toward an Altec gray restore. I just picked up the labels here: Altec Voice of The Theater Vott Labels A2 A4 A5 A7 | eBay. Sorry if I nosed out anyone here at the last minute on them. Well, not that sorry.

    Mine aren't in need of near as much work:

    18

    As a matter of fact I might just leave all the scratches for that distressed look. But since I manage an autobody shop, I might just glitz them up. They're so awkward to move though. I'd hate to make them perfect and then have to be concerned that they'd get dinged. I think these speakers are meant to have dings and scratches...just sayin'.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.